SolUtra finished in 9th position as the best newcomer and, according to participants of the World Solar Challenge 2005, was one of the best cars aerodynamically. The SolUtra was Solar Team Twente’s first solar car and with this great achievement, it laid the foundations for the next teams. A smart detail which set SolUtra apart from the others and decreased the air drag were the moving wheel cases. These cases would follow the wheels when turning. This meant that the cases could be much smaller than those that are static and thus had a much better effect on the aerodynamics.
- Year: 2005
- Dimensions: 5.000 x 1.800 x 800 mm (L x W x H)
- Mass: 210 kg (excluding driver)
- Wheels: 3 (1 in the front, 2 in the back)
- Solar Panel: 9 m2 gallium arsenide, with a ±24,5% efficiency
- Battery: lithium-ion cells
- Top Speed: 125 km/h